Thursday, October 24, 2013

Halloween Table Square



This tutorial was featured on the Ginger Snap Craft blog a few weeks ago.  I thought I would post the tutorial here as well! 

 I wanted to make a smaller Halloween item for my table.  I like to leave my centerpiece on the table even when the kids are eating or doing homework.  I love table runners, but sometimes they are too big.  I just need a little spot of color!  This accent table square works perfectly!  Here's how you can make your own!

Supplies:
1/2 yard of cotton fabric (chevron) you can also use a "Fat Quarter"
backing fabric, the same amount as top piece
18" square of lightweight fusible stabilizer
1 package jumbo black ric rac
Heat n Bond lite or other fusible appliqué
small piece of black fabric
Bat pattern, click HERE

Directions
Cut the chevron and back piece 18" square.  I used a heavier weight solid fabric on the back.  You can use a different print and make it reversible if you want.


 Iron the 18" square of fusible stabilizer to the wrong side of the chevron fabric.

Trace the bats onto the Heat n Bond.  Cut out around the bats and iron to the wrong side of the black fabric.  Cut along the drawn lines.  Peel off the backing.

Position the bats where you want them and iron into place.  Using black thread, stitch around the bats to secure.

 Baste the ric rac along the edge of the square.  I do this on the machine using a larger stitch.


 This is how I start and stop my ric rac:
Make sure the ends are off the edge of the fabric.

Pin the top and bottom squares right sides together.
 Follow the basting stitch and use that as your seam guide.  Leave a 3" opening to turn the square.  You kind of have to curve the corners.
 Turn right side out and press.

This would also make a cute pillow.  You would sew it exactly the same way.  Only you would stuff it at this point.  Or, you can leave a larger opening and insert a pillow form.  In this picture I laid it over a pillow.  You would want to put the bats a little higher so they don't get lost when the pillow sits upright.

Continuing with the table square, pin to hold the fabric in place and topstitch around the square.  This will also close the opening.
 I like to use my "blindstitch" foot and put the needle over for topstitching - it works great.  You can totally use a regular foot too!!

After you finish topstitching, you're done!!  I had fun playing with my new table accent!!








Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment